1. Analyze the successes and failures of the United States Cold War policy of containment as it developed in TWO of the following regions of the world during the period 1945 to 1975.
a. East and Southeast Asia b. Europe c. Latin America d. Middle East
2. Harry S. Truman was a realistic, pragmatic President who skillfully led the American people against the menace posed by the Soviet Union. Assess the validity of this generalization for President Truman’s foreign policy. (84)
3. The size, character, and effectiveness of the organized labor movement changed significantly during the late nineteenth century and the first half of the twentieth century. Apply this statement to TWO of the periods:
1870 -1915 1915 - 1935 1935 - 1950 (85)
4. In 1945 Winston Churchill said that the United States stood at the summit of the world. Discuss the developments in the thirty years following Churchill’s speech which called the global preeminence of the United States into question. (92)
5. Analyze the influence of TWO of the following on American-Soviet relations in the decade following the Second World War.
Yalta Conference Communist Revolution in China
Korean War McCarthysim (96)
6. To what extent did the decade of the 1950’s deserve its reputation as an age of political, social, and cultural conformity? (94)
7. How do you account for the appeal of McCarthyism in the United States in the era following the Second World War? (97)
8. Although the 1960’s are usually considered the decade of the greatest achievement for Black civil rights, the 1940’s and 1950’s were periods of equally important gains. Assess the validity of this statement. (91)
9. Discuss the adjustments of ONE of the following minority groups to American life.
American Indians from 1860 -1900 Puerto Ricans from 1910 – 1970 (72)
Mexican -Americans from 1910 – 1970 Japanese Americans from 1910 - 1970
10. Controversy between integrationist and separatist viewpoints has long been a dominant theme within the black community. Analyze the controversy among blacks for the period 1920 - 1970. (73)
11. In the period since 1945, the Republican Party, as represented in the administrations of Dwight Eisenhower (1953-1961) and Richard M. Nixon (1969-1974), virtually abandoned the opposition to the New Deal expressed in the 1930’s. Assess the validity of this generalization. (75)